Saturday, July 11, 2009

Current plans

I would like the end result to be as complete of a modification as possible. I have decided to work on things in phases.

Phase 1: Lighting. Replace all the current bulbs with brand new bulbs. The current bulbs are somewhat dim and one of them doesn't work.

Phase 2: Arm Kit. Install a Vegas style pull arm. I would prefer an IGT arm if possible. I have looked at many options and these seem to be the best bang for the buck. I've look at some of the aftermarket kits and they seem like expensive junk.

Phase 3: Auto-stop Kit. These kits allow for the reels to stop themselves, instead of pushing the stop buttons. I have look at a few kits and none of them seem to work with this machine. I may have to burn a custom pic chip for this.

Phase 4: Cabinet modification. After installing the pull arm and auto-stop kit, I would like to remove the joystick and stop buttons. I will then add some sort of covering to where they were to hide the holes. The wood portion of the cabinet is made of black painted plywood, and it looks like garbage. I think i will add some sort veneer or laminate to the sides and top.

Phase 5: Artwork. I will change the artwork on the reels, play field, and belly glass. They will all match some common theme. A few ideas I have been kicking around are:
Star Wars
Family Guy
Star Trek
Futurama
Las Vegas
Money
Monkeys
psychedelic 60's
And a few other ideas

Phase 6: Sound. This seems like it will be the hardest of all the mods. I would like to completely remove all the current sounds from the machine. I will then use sounds relating to whatever theme i decide to go with. The only way I can see to make this work is some sort of custom chip sets. I would have to cut all audio out at the speaker level. I would then need to have a chip that "listens" to certain events from the machine and trigger a custom sound chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment